Untitled

I actually bought a bottle of water this morning. I generally don’t like water. Today, though, I just felt like I needed something that wasn’t pure sugar.

It’s friday, the long weekend is on its way. I guess that means I should be thinking of something to do this weekend. I haven’t come up with anything… I really don’t want to just hang around and be bored though. These are probably the only times I start wishing I had a car again. I used to have a car… I loved weekends when we could take it and just drive somewhere because we could. I miss driving sometimes, I miss being able to go places without having to arrange for busfare or trains and getting people to pick us up at the station and having them drive us around while we visit and so on… in that sense, I really wish I had a car. And we can’t even rent one, because neither of us have a credit card and I’m still under 25 – most places don’t like to rent to people under 25 (there are a few who will) and most places won’t rent to anyone who doesn’t have a credit card of some sort.

That’s twice that the credit card thing (or lack of one) has really annoyed me this week. And I still can’t even get one, because I screwed up when I was 18 and they handed me one and I needed food and rent money so I took cash advances and then couldn’t pay them back because the only money I had was the credit cards. I’ve been paying some of that stuff off, bit by bit, but it’s taking a long time and it’s really hard to do, and even if I pay them off they still won’t give me a card because that bad credit will always show up on my record.

I have good credit at Long & McQuade Music – and it’s not just because I worked there. But that doens’t count. They don’t look at that, they look at the bad parts. I guess it’s human nature to watch and remember the bad parts.

I’m in such a nasty mood.

• zok

September 1, 2000 at 8:49 am

Credit cards

About the credit cards: I learned a neat trick about a year or so ago, while my own credit was in the crapper. Ever see those little cards in magazines for subscriptions to things? (or in a computer game you buy, or in a million other places) The ones that ask you to fill out a little survey?
    Weeelll.. some of them have a little “what is your income?” box. If you fill out a bunch of those cards with your income really high ($100 000 per year should do) and mail them in (it helps to send a lot), that information gets sold to various companies. Your virtual identity will then have a big income attached to it. I did this, and after about 2 months got a couple of offers for pre-approved credit cards, despite my terrible credit rating. I still get offers very month or two. Got one yesterday for a platinum card. 😉

One disadvantage: You will probably get more junk mail. Nothing’s perfect. 🙂

• artyste

September 1, 2000 at 9:16 am

Re: Credit cards

Get out of here… you’re kidding me..

Time to start buying magazines! YAY!

• zok

September 1, 2000 at 10:54 am

Re: Credit cards

Buy? BUY? When your credit is bad? Hah!
        Go to a library and leaf through the magazine stacks. 😉

• artyste

September 1, 2000 at 10:57 am

Re: Credit cards

Full of good ideas. How come you aren’t a Presidential advisor? heheh (or Prime Ministerial if you are Canadian)

• carrie

September 1, 2000 at 11:32 am

Re: Credit cards

I get these, too. Trust me, they have not APPROVED you. You still have to fill out the form including your Social Security number at which point they not only look up your history and see your bad record, but they also call your employer to verify your income.

• zok

September 1, 2000 at 11:47 am

Re: Credit cards

Well, given the fact that I *received* the cards, that I was unemployed, and hadn’t made a payment on my three student loans in a number of months, I don’t think that holds in all circumstances. It also worked for some friends in similar difficulties.

The fact that I’m in Canada might have something to do with it too, eh? 😉

(apologies to JennyLee for monopolizing her journal)

September 1, 2000 at 12:04 pm

Re: Credit cards

heh… you’re not monopolizing my journal. I’ve seen journal comments turn into full-on conversations into the 30’s before…

• mtbandit

September 1, 2000 at 11:36 am

Re: Credit cards

Oh, ignote those. I get them all the time. “pre-approved creidt” is a sham, once you read the fine print. They still reserve the right to refuse you. And they have, many times. because they still check your credit report.

The best way to do it, if they are offered in Canada, is to get a “secured” credit card. That’s where you open a savings account for a predetermined amount and that actes as security on your credit card. It’s a fully functioning credit card, with a low limit. I started with a $200 limit VISA from CapitalOne which I mainly don’t use except when my checking account gets low, and as security on car rental, secured by a $100 savings account. This Summer I upgraded to a $300 Visa Gold for an additional $99 in my savings account. I haven’t yet, but I can up that limit by sendingthem more money for the savings account.

I constantly get calls from Cross Country and Providan, and they just don’tunderstand the concept of “NO I do not want a new credit card. I am bad with money and so my current low limit is perfect for me!” It’s not an answer they want to hear.

• scottobear

September 1, 2000 at 10:20 am

lots of good free and cheep stuff to do! Hit a park, go on a picnic… rent some movies (from the library! free! ) write letters to friends… take the bus to someplace new and neato… i know buses and trains can be a hassle, but I know I enjoy peoplewatching. 🙂

September 1, 2000 at 11:01 am

I live in a city of 4 million or so… people watching is a neverending experience. 😉

The problem with going to another city without a car is getting around said other city… and you really can’t do anything in the country without a car, it’d be nice to just drive for a little while or something.

I live on the beach, Lake Ontario… parks are close, the boardwalk is close, queen street shopping is close… but I’ve been doing that all summer.

I could write letters to friends…. except that I would never send them. I have a letter I wrote to my sister in New Zealand back in March… it’s still around my apartment somewhere, I never finished or sent it. I’m so bad at real mail.

• scottobear

September 1, 2000 at 11:13 am

Are limos very expensive where you are? Pay to have them tool around, take you place to place all day?

I’m trying to help, but I’m about out of ideas. 🙂

September 1, 2000 at 11:23 am

Hehehehehe 🙂 never been in a limo 😉 cabs would probably be less, but hey.

I think the problem is I’m tired of just transporting my body somewhere else to sit around and do nothing, but I hate the humidity (it makes me nauseous) outside, and it’s just a whole lot easier to stay somewhere with aircon. I dunno… I’m thinking still… maybe the man ray exhibit at the gallery, maybe the air show if it’s not evilly hot… *ponder*

• scottobear

September 1, 2000 at 11:24 am

both sound like fun! I hope you find something comfy and fun! I’d hate for you to be bored out of your gourd.

September 1, 2000 at 11:25 am

Just look into the peephole…..

oh wait… wrong book. Never mind.