Untitled

Please… any australians out there… please tell me that this isn’t true?? Is that what represents Australian culture to the rest of the world?? Giant dancing Shrimps (will they be on the barbie?) and Paul Hogan?? Come ON… I thought the idea of hosting the olympics was to showcase the real things about culture, not feed more into the stereotypes that people complain about so much!! Who’s in charge here??

• lilliane

September 8, 2000 at 7:03 am

I will tell you what my friend from Perth says about this sort of thing (and the Crocodile Hunter on the Discovery Channel as well) – he apologizes for them every time he visits us… 😉

That should say a lot … hehehe

September 8, 2000 at 7:11 am

Heh 😉 I think any of my australian friends would/will be mortified to learn this, if they don’t already know about it…

That’s like hosting something in canada in the summer and importing snow while holding all the events in igloos and making certain that the only form of travel from place to place is by dogsled… I think not!

• bandicoot

September 8, 2000 at 10:29 am

And don’t forget the refreshment stands selling Jellied Moose Nose on a stick 😉

September 8, 2000 at 11:26 am

Hehehehe

There’s always beavertails… we LOVE our beavertails… mmm… suddenly I crave beavertails….

• sirreal13

September 8, 2000 at 10:48 am

Re: Dogsled

That might work in Minneapolis, but not Toronto.

Just think what we feel like when we say we’re form Minnesota. All people think about is Jesse Ventura (and Fargo, if we’re lucky!!)

• pen

September 8, 2000 at 3:17 pm

wow, i dunno what those dotmusic people are on.

firstly, *as far as i know* she has nothing to do with the limpic game opening ceremony. she’ll be at the paralympic one. (‘course there’s the matter of the UTTER MIDDLE-OF-THE-ROAD FUCKWITS who WILL be singing at the opening ceremony, but that’s another huge bone to pick).

secondly, i highly doubt huge shrimp costumes will be involved. it gives me great pain to confirm that there will be a song called ‘g’day g’day’, though.

thirdly, “australian premier bob carr”???????????
    what the fuck??
    we have a PRIME MINISTER of our country. he’s called John Fucking Howard.
    we have PREMIERS of each state. the New South Wales one (which sydney’s in), is called Bob Carr.

how totally unprofessional of the site!

September 8, 2000 at 4:36 pm

Have you emailed them to complain yet? That’s just evil!

• pen

September 8, 2000 at 4:51 pm

sheesh, well, that’d be an administrative task now, wouldn’t it?
        plus when i actually get around to voicing my opinion it’s a pandora’s box, which is silly, i shld just be able to be concise so i can be heard, but no.