from The Toronto Star…
Beaches blaze guts upholstery store
By Henry Stancu and Susan Murray
Toronto Star Staff Reporters
More than 100 Toronto firefighters worked for five hours battling a six-alarm fire that started in the basement of a Beaches upholstery store last night.
Police and firefighters were called out at about 11 p.m. and arrived to find thick smoke pouring from Vienna Upholstery and the adjacent Booksmith used book store on Queen St. East at Wheeler Ave.
Residents from several apartments above the stores and adjoining shops were evacuated as firefighters worked to douse the blaze in the basement. The fire eventually spread to nearby properties causing an estimated $2 million in damage. There were no injuries.
Emergency crews were forced to cut both hydro and natural gas to stop the fire from spreading further, affecting residents throughout the Beaches.
Queen St. east of Woodbine was still closed to traffic including TTC streetcars, during the morning rush hour. A shuttle bus has been set up by TTC until the street is cleared.