A curious event at the 7-11

Well, I was planning on going downtown this afternoon. I left the house and started walking for the 7-11 about 15 minutes walk away. I needed to buy a daypass for the bus and get some money out of the machine there. It was a nice walk, the day was quite lovely actually. I could see the mountains, I was considering taking some pictures if I got a clear shot without power lines and such. I had a mild headache, but I had taken an advil for it, much like I usually do when I have a headache.

I made it to the 7-11, where I felt a little bit weird, like I needed something to drink. Went inside and walked up to the bank machine, where I did the usual, putting my card in and punching in my numbers. I asked for 60$ and hit okay, and then felt a bit woozy, and felt like I was breathing a bit shallowly, so I put my head down for a second and things went a bit hazy-black…

Next thing I knew, I was lying on the floor and someone was talking to me. I couldn’t figure out what was going on, I didn’t understand what was happening, and I thought I was dreaming or something. There was a man kneeling on the floor next to me, asking me if I was okay. A woman was standing next to him holding my wallet… I still didn’t know what was going on, but she said she was going to put my cash in my wallet (from the bank machine) and put my wallet in my backpack for me. I think I thanked her… I could hear people talking about me all around me. Another guy walked up and said he was with the fire department, and could they please call an ambulance?

The guy from the fire department had me sit up and lean against the bank machine to wait for the ambulance. The first guy had taken my pulse and said it was 140. The fire department guy (who turned out to be from ontario, actually,) asked me how old I was and what my name was. I got a bit of amusement from telling him that my last name was Faller… My pulse came down fairly quickly, it was normal by the time the ambulance arrived.

The fire department guy sat with me til they got there, then I went out and sat in the ambulance talking to them for a bit. They took my blood sugar, it was fine. They asked me a whole bunch of questions, but didn’t really come up with a reason for it happening. They did ask if I wanted to go to the hospital with them, I chose not to and they drove me back home instead. I’m really glad I didn’t have to walk, I was still really shakey, although I wasn’t dizzy anymore.

When we got back to Mom & Merv’s, Merv was in the driveway cleaning out his car. He looked confused at the fact that an ambulance was stopping in front of his driveway… I got out of the ambulance and came inside, and just sat down for a while.

I called Spad and Gina to cancel our sushi night, and I called mom, who recommended that merv call their doctor and see if he could see me. We went over to the clinic, he asked me some questions, and decided that I was fine, and was probably reacting to the advil I had taken for a headache. He thinks I passed out from nausea, since I did feel woozy and nauseated when I got to the bank machine. I came home with mom & merv and sat in the la-z-boy for a while.

Right now, I’m still pretty shakey, but otherwise seem fine. Still got that minor headache, and my elbow and knees are bruised from where I apparently landed on them when I fell. I’m not going out tonight. And yes, I did eat today. That’s the first thing everyone asked me. I like food, it’s a wonderful thing.

I’m so shakey though. Just all-over shakey.

• ginamoog

December 4, 2000 at 5:11 pm

I am glad you feel better sweetie. What a wierd thing to happen though! Anyways thanks for calling me hehehe. I say we do dinner tues. or thurs. what do you think?

December 4, 2000 at 5:50 pm

Tuesday I’m meeting someone for coffee at 3pm, near here. I could do something after that, except that I don’t know how long we’re going to be…

Thursday I fly out at midnight, so I’m a bit hesitant to do stuff then, just in case… yep, i’m paranoid…

• highlearn

December 4, 2000 at 5:27 pm

good to hear you’re not sick.. 🙂

Bad to hear things like this happen :/

• ex_oki86

December 4, 2000 at 6:00 pm

Glad to hear things turned out ok; even though you had fainted…

Just curious but has anything like this every happened to you before?

December 4, 2000 at 6:03 pm

Not actual passing out, no. I get occasional dizzy spells. I’m considering going to a neurologist when I get back home, though. I really don’t think it was the Advil, but maybe that’s just me.

• chicagorose

December 4, 2000 at 6:06 pm

Doesn’t the kindness (and honesty) of the strangers who assisted you make you feel good?

I am relieved that you are well.

R

December 4, 2000 at 6:20 pm

Yeah… it really does. Thanks 🙂

• ex_zuul504

December 4, 2000 at 6:07 pm

yikes… i’m glad you’re ok… i’m glad there were people around who were nice to you… sounds like you need an evening of just chillin on the couch and watching tv…

December 4, 2000 at 6:21 pm

Yeah, that’s about what I’m up for. I’m not going anywhere tonight, that’s for sure.

• army_of_me

December 4, 2000 at 6:32 pm

wow, i’m so glad you are okay! that sounds horrible…actually, i think something like that happened to me, once a long time ago. but i was in a house, so no one knew about it ‘cept me, and i’m still a little hazy about what exactly happened. but just to be safe, yeah, go check out a neurologist. glad you are okay now.

December 4, 2000 at 6:46 pm

thanks… I’m glad it didn’t happen somewhere like the skytrain or the seabus or walking downtown… that would have been evil.

• triggerhappy

December 4, 2000 at 6:51 pm

scary. 🙁

i’m glad it wasn’t too bad, though.

December 4, 2000 at 7:05 pm

Thanks… the more I think about it, the more I think it could have been a lot worse.

• charlottesweb

December 4, 2000 at 9:54 pm

Yikes!

Wow, that’s pretty scary. Something similar happened to me a few years ago. I just randomly passed out in a doctor’s waiting room. Stood up fast and got a head-rush (was typical for me back then), but then the rush just faded into nothingness, and the next thing I knew I had slammed my head into the floor. Scary!

Anyway, I’m very glad you’re OK!!

December 5, 2000 at 10:52 am

Re: Yikes!

Thanks… I’m feeling better today, but it scared me a whole lot yesterday.

• charlottesweb

December 5, 2000 at 11:11 am

Re: Yikes!

I’m very glad to hear you’re feeling better today!

• pen

December 4, 2000 at 11:25 pm

jeepers, i hope it’s all aok.
    i’ve only passed out once, due to much incense in a closed space whilst at church many moons ago, but i still clearly remember how spaced out the whole experience was. hope yours is a once-off, too.

• lurker

December 5, 2000 at 12:29 am

Eep!

OMG!

ARe you gonna be okay?

December 5, 2000 at 10:53 am

I imagine so… It seems to be a low blood pressure thing… I’m going to be careful for the next little while, though.

• magicwoman

December 5, 2000 at 6:57 am

JennyLee!

Wow – I have never blanked out like that – it must be horrifying! Glad that there were some nice people around to help out. Take care of yourself.

• daruba

December 5, 2000 at 8:06 am

{{{JennyLee}}}}

holy shit, i totally missed this post. Take care of yerself, gurl! Goto that neurologist asap!