Well… I’m awake. I was falling asleep on the couch when I got home, so we went to bed, and I lay there a while exhausted and wanting to just sleep, but couldn’t.

Did I say it went well tonight? I’ll tell you more later… but it was amazingly good tonight. Like, I haven’t felt that right in a long long time.

Tune in next week, when I go back again. It’s more addictive than drugs, I tell you… There’s not much I love to do more than sing. Just about the only thing I can say I enjoy more is having people listen to me sing, and knowing that they’re enjoying it.

Oh, and Daruba? j00 sux0r! You missed it. I sad. You come next week? Ben? strange? BleuLlama? IRC #toronto people?

Hmm. Maybe I should learn more songs between now and then, eh?

Okay… Here’s the actual rundown of the evening.

I left just after seven, and caught a bus up to the Subway station. When I got to the station, I could hear my train pulling in, so I tried to take the stairs down three at a time. I came around the corner and nearly knocked over an 8 year old or so… fortunately I swerved, but that caused me to just miss the train. I still had momentum, though, so I actually bounced off the train itself before it pulled away. (More like ‘thumped against the side of the train angrily,’ but hey.)

When I turend around, there was a man standing behind me who gave me a pamphlet for black history month, and then we just chatted for a little while. He told me not to get upset with the train thing (he saw me hit the train before it left) and that everything happens for a reason. It actually made me feel a bit better, he was really nice.

Train arrived, and the rest of the actual trip was uneventful.

I made it to Sneaky Dee’s on time, and signed up. I figured I’d put my name down at number 4, since I didn’t want to go first but I also didn’t want to wait too long. Cyn, Templier, and Tommer were already there, and of course Ian was there doing soundcheck. Soundcheck took about an hour, then Ian went on to play a couple of songs before calling the first person up.

Since I had put my name on the list relatively early, no one actually bothered to put their names before mine… which basically meant I was bumped from fourth to first. Umm… that wasn’t the plan.

Amusing thing was, they still didn’t have everything set up and soundchecked properly, so they were messing with stuff for a while as I sat onstage holding a guitar, occasionally talking into the mic or strumming a bit, and occasionally being deafened by feedback. I did my standard disclaimers (1. I have never done this before in my life and 2. I am really not a guitar player, so please bear with me.)

Finally I started playing one of my three songs (the only one I needed the papers for, BNL’s Old Apartment) with Ian accompanying vocals. I messed up a little bit, lost my place on the second page, just picked up wherever I left off. It went well, for being a little bit of a mess (and they were still setting up the sound as I did stuff.)

Second song I did was one of Adam’s. I decided against trying to fingerpick the parts that I usually pick out, and just played chords instead. I would have to say that it went extremely well considering the whole PA was fading in and out for a bit. I just ignore it and kept playing and singing.

The third song I did was the one I know best, BNL’s Break Your Heart. Ian wanted to do a bassline for it, so I had to call him back onstage… it was amusing watching him run breakneck for the stage when I said, “Oh, Ian mentioned something about wanting to play bass for this song, but screw him…” Okay, so I’m easily amused.

By this point in time I was pretty comfortable with the whole thing… in fact, it was so much better and easier and more real to me than karaoke has ever been. It helped that I can play that song in my sleep, of course, but it just felt so good to be up there. People were listening to me, watching me, and I was a bit nervous but not really a lot, and I loved it. It was great.

Later on in the night, Ian was doing a couple of songs between other performers (more soundcheck stuff,) and he just sort of doodled a bit of something that sounded like rainbow connection. I leaned over and said to Templier, “If he plays Rainbow Connection, I’ll go up there and sing it.” So Temp yelled at him, “Play Rainbow Connection,” and of course he did… so I ran up there and sang it. I was surprised I remember all the words… and I wasn’t nervous at all.

Right when we were about to leave, I wandered back up to the stage to let Ian know I was heading out. He asked me to stay and do Rob Thomas for him. How can I resist Rob Thomas?? So I took off my parka and my satchell (left on my barenaked toque,) and sang Push (although I think I forgot part of the bridge or something, but it still worked anyhow) with another girl who came up half-way through the song. Again, I was about to leave, but the girl asked me if I knew Stand by Me – I don’t know all of the words, and I told her that, but she said that was fine and I could just follow along. So… I stayed and sang that. I have never in my life tried to sing something I haven’t rehearsed to death for anyone before… not at informal jams, or in the studio, or anywhere. I was so amazed that I felt comfortable enough up there to do that… and I could see that people were watching me… and they were actually interested in listening to me… I could have stayed up there all night and been blissfully happy.

And that was when I left for home… I caught a cab. I am going back as soon as I can. Hopefully next week… maybe, since Adam’s in town, I can convince him to go too….


  • jeroen

    February 5, 2001 at 3:21 am

    It’s great that every went ok, see you on tour in Europe next year :)?

  • ben

    February 5, 2001 at 4:11 am

    good stuff!

    Sounds like great fun. Your retelling it with your inner thoughts revealed makes me smile. Congratulations on a fine performance!

  • brianlee

    February 5, 2001 at 5:19 am

    I’m very happy but not-so suprised it went so well. Way to go JL!!!

  • strange

    February 5, 2001 at 5:44 am

    Congrats JennyLee! I’m glad to hear that it went well. Unfortunately I won’t be able to make it out next week either as I am performing my own set at the Free Times Cafe. In two weeks maybe though…

  • daruba

    February 5, 2001 at 7:41 am

    wOOt! sounds great. I had a bunch of last minute stuff i had to deal with.

    My friends James and Tanya apparently were there performing too…

    so is this going to be a weekly thing?

    • Jenny Lee Silver

      February 5, 2001 at 9:42 am

      Yes, it’ll be a weekly thing, and I saw James and Tanya perform. I hope to get out to it as often as possible, since it actually gives me a reason to practice my guitar…

      • daruba

        February 5, 2001 at 10:12 am

        cool… i hope to actually show up next time.

        How were they, BTW?

        • Jenny Lee Silver

          February 5, 2001 at 10:19 am

          They were good. She’s really interesting on stage.

          • daruba

            February 5, 2001 at 10:23 am

            she’s interesting in real life too. I rockclimb with James. He’s from the Soo, knows Ian, we went to HS together. He’s an old enrichment buddy…

  • Anonymous

    February 7, 2001 at 10:06 am

    About time!!

    Sorry I didn’t make it for this, and just got to read how it went today – sounded amazing 🙂

    Soooo … now … you were willing to work at 2nd Cup? How about working at something you love? 🙂


    • Jenny Lee Silver

      February 7, 2001 at 5:39 pm

      Re: About time!!

      But they don’t actually PAY you for this kind of work…