Things that piss me off… Part 1

It’s odd…

I read a couple of people’s posts in the forums at I have a Secret, and there’s something about some of their tones of voice, how they write, what they have to say, that tells me that they’re an elitest geek-type. Recently, I’ve realized just how much elitest geek-types annoy the fuck out of me. I don’t want to hear about how pure html should be, or why *nix is a superior OS, or anything else of that geek-type nature. I don’t give a fuck. Be as elitist as you like, but quit looking down on me for not being in the same intellectual category as you.

Maybe it’s just that I feel as though I can’t add to intellectual conversations in the same way that they do – I feel inadequate in my ability to communicate my opinion of something, or I am lacking an opinion completely on the subject… but there seems, to me, a certain tone that elitest geeks take no matter what they’re talking about that makes me feel inferior. I am not an idiot, but sometimes the way people talk down to me, or to a general audience like a forum, I start to feel like one.

I hate elitists.

Expect to see more posts about things that piss me off… Lots of things lately are pissing me off. Maybe if I just rant about them one at a time, I’ll get through them all. Silly little things, most of them. When I get to a big one, be afraid…

• strange

April 5, 2001 at 11:58 pm

geek love

Hey JennyLee, you can send them my way. I love that geek-boy thing, I find boys who can manipulate technology terribly sexy. To each their own I guess. I am definitely an “impress me with your technology” kind-of-girl or perhaps I am just a freak with a strange fetish. Whenever I think of boys and tech, I think back to Geza, god all that boy had to do was start talking about computers and he would have me wrapped around his finger. Yes, technology is definitely sexy. Mmmm…

April 6, 2001 at 12:15 am

Re: geek love

I don’t have a problem with geek talk in general… it’s the elitist attitude that says all other things are inferior that pisses me off. Maybe I LIKE colour in my webpages. Maybe there are some things about the occasional microsoft product that I find useful. Just because I use it doesn’t make me a lesser being.

That is all.

• cyn

April 6, 2001 at 6:19 am

Re: geek love

that’s interesting… when i read that thread all i saw were people expressing their personal preferences.

• cyn

April 6, 2001 at 6:19 am

Re: geek love

April 6, 2001 at 12:15 am

Re: geek love

That is all.

• strange

April 5, 2001 at 11:58 pm

geek love

• corachaos

April 6, 2001 at 3:54 am

Luckily, I only know what one of those words means (html). My hubby is a huge tech geek but he keeps it to himself ’cause I go away to “the happy place” when he’s talking about stuff that sounds like latin to me.

I do tend to be a snob about some things. But I try to keep it tongue in cheek.

• ex_oki86

April 6, 2001 at 5:43 am

Ah. I wonder if I do the same thing? I usually try to keep it tongue in cheek too. Sometimes I catch myself too. =o

I guess somebody said something about JL’s website? =/

• ex_oki86

April 6, 2001 at 5:43 am

I guess somebody said something about JL’s website? =/

• corachaos

April 6, 2001 at 3:54 am

I do tend to be a snob about some things. But I try to keep it tongue in cheek.

• sirreal13

April 6, 2001 at 7:08 am

I ignore the hyper-geek language. I did take it personally when someone said I didn’t need to start a “useless” topic, because only the first three posters “had to.” First fo all, I didn’t read the fine print and second, “Near Misses” was not a useless topic. I find fate to be very present in every day of every life. Geek knowledge is nice to have but people shouldn’t act superior. Some people can come off as elitist even when they’re not trying to cuz jargon is what they are comforatable with…

• cyn

April 6, 2001 at 10:42 am

you always hear what you’re looking for. if you had been in a bad mood when you read that bit in the “near miss” thread, you would have taken it as a personal attack, and been hurt, etc.

but if you’re in a good or neutral mood – it’s just another comment by another person who is online and thus not entirely real

grains of salt should be industrial strength in the online world.

April 6, 2001 at 10:44 am

Alas… I forgot that I didn’t want comments on the rant, and forgot to disable commenting. These aren’t what I’m angry about. They just get to be outlets for it, because if I don’t do anything I’ll explode. I’m really bad company the past couple of weeks, which is why I’m not being sociable with people… I’d probably kill them for telling a joke that I don’t think is funny.

These rants aren’t meant to be taken seriously. Just ignore me.

• cyn

April 6, 2001 at 12:21 pm

keep ranting and venting, it’s healthy

and we’d never ignore you. we’ll shush up if you like though 🙂

• cyn

April 6, 2001 at 12:21 pm

keep ranting and venting, it’s healthy

and we’d never ignore you. we’ll shush up if you like though 🙂

April 6, 2001 at 10:44 am

These rants aren’t meant to be taken seriously. Just ignore me.

April 6, 2001 at 10:59 am

Oh, and it’s not just there, that was just an example. I see it in real life, I see it on other boards, I see it all over the place.

Sorry if I seemed to be pointing at something specific, I really wasn’t. It was just something that triggered the feeling.

April 6, 2001 at 10:59 am

• cyn

April 6, 2001 at 10:42 am

grains of salt should be industrial strength in the online world.

• sirreal13

April 6, 2001 at 7:08 am

• templier

April 6, 2001 at 1:47 pm

Hrmmm…

I thought you already knew that I was an elitist geek-type, and liked me anyway? *wink*

• templier