From the Land of Lowspeed…

aka New Liskeard.

The house is empty except for me, six cats and two dogs. My friend Ian and I made the drive up late last night with the U-Haul, which is now sitting in the driveway, waiting to be unloaded. My cats aren’t too sure about these dog creatures yet. They have yet to meet the other four cats…

It’s certainly odd to be the only one here. Adam and his parents had to stay in Toronto to be with the family there, his grandfather isn’t doing too well right now. Looks like this will be a very very quiet Christmas for me this year… Being the only one here and all. Adam’s brother Jordy was here when I arrived, but he left for his girlfriend’s house to spend Christmas with her family just after I woke up this morning.

My computer broke on Saturday. The onboard video card is having serious conflicts with the installed one, and now I have no video to speak of when I boot into windoze. As of now, the machine is still packed away, so I can’t rail about it. I’m using Adam’s parents computer to log in… The world of Dialup… I had forgotten how slow it can be.

I hope I can find someone besides Ian to help me unpack. I don’t know how useful I can be with the really big heavy stuff like the stupid hammond organ and such. I will try… I just hope I don’t drop stuff.

• daruba

December 24, 2002 at 9:32 am

dood!

how many frikken cats is that in total?

😉

December 24, 2002 at 10:12 am

Six in Total. Adam’s dad is a veterinarian, though, so vet bills are low. My two are creeped out thus far. 😉

• daruba

December 24, 2002 at 10:57 am

they’ll adjust..

but MAN

that’s a load of CATS!

• mishamish

December 24, 2002 at 9:33 am

First off, any house with six cats and two dogs is FAR from empty, but given the rest of the content of your post I won’t harrass you about it.

Christmas by yourself in a new place? That SUCKS! I mean, I’ve had a few nice Christmases alone, but… IN A NEW PLACE, TOO!? Yikes! Well, know that some of us will be thinking about you and wishing you our best.

Don’t do too much unpacking, either. Go to the store, buy some tea (ANY tea!), sip some, curl up with a cat, and just rest, meditate, enjoy the day. That’s what holidays are about, no?

December 24, 2002 at 10:14 am

Heh… well, the house is quiet, at least. For being six cats and two dogs, they’re remarkably silent. It makes me a bit nervous, because usually when my cats are being quiet they’re also being bad… 😉

I think one of the dogs is trying superhard to make friends with my cats. They’ll have none of it so far, but she’s pretty convincing… I think they might give in to her eventually. It’s amusing to watch, at least, as the dog shuffles towards them lying on the floor, and the cats puff up at her.

• mishamish

December 24, 2002 at 11:30 am

Heheh, yeah, cats in a new situation are usually nervous enough ANYWAY. Add a new, larger, obviously carnivorous mammal to the mix, and I imagine it’s dynamite. But if any larger, obviously carnivorous mammal has the stength of will, patience, and bloody-minded determination to pull it off, it’s a dog.

And it CAN happen! A friend of mine in high school had a dog that all the local cats ADORED! And they were farmers, so were talking upwards of two dozen cats here, counting all the feral ones. When he would walk around the yard there would always be atleast a half dozen cats parading after him, anywhere he went. One cold winter night while leaving, I even saw this HUGE mound of motled fur over by the barn and walked over to it… and Bear’s head popped up from a pile of cats. It was so cute even *I* laughed. This wasn’t on Christmas or anything, I think, but pretend it was and you can play it in your head as your own little ABC Christmas Special.

Of course, Bear also had had a severe fever as a pup and wasn’t quite right in the head, but that’s neither here nor there…

🙂

• highlearn

December 24, 2002 at 9:50 am

That motherboard appears to have onboard video, but it’s a lie. I had an early release. It’s got the plugs, but it isn’t programmed to receive.

December 24, 2002 at 10:11 am

I’m just regurgitating what windoze XP told me was the reason it wouldn’t install itself. And since then, my computer has no vision. I’d kick it, but it’s outside in the truck, and I’m not. 😉

I’ll figure it out later. I imagine I’ll have time.