Ketzel Update

So Ketzel’s not doing so well. She’s at the clinic right now, she may have liver failure, which means the best she can hope for is maybe a few months, and quite likely less than that. It’s sad, but it’s not really unexpected, for me. Even over the past few months I’ve seen that she’s not exactly the healthiest cat out there, and she’s definitely looking and feeling old.

We were over at the clinic today checking out the future boarding kennel building. We went into the clinic, and there was smoke in the operating room. The Veterinary Assistant called the fire department, and we looked around to figure out what was going. Just as the three fire trucks and huge brigade of volunteer fire fighters arrived, we found the culprit – a charger for a cordless drill was plugged in and had burnt out and melted. Hooray for excitement for the day. The last thing you want is a fire in a room with pure oxygen tanks in it…

I took Dayle outside on a leash. He spent most of the time outside trying to roll or slink out of the harness. I think I might be able to get him used to it, but I don’t know if it will help with his insanity. I hope so.

Now I must go eat dinner.

• jerronimo

March 27, 2003 at 5:21 pm

Good vibes going out to the cute kitty.

**feel better, ketzel**

• mishamish

March 27, 2003 at 6:00 pm

Sorry to hear about Ketzel, lass. “Craphead” will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers. 🙂

As for the Cat Harness… Yeesh? I’ve never understood that one. I mean, I have enough trouble with dogs on leashes. A Cat? I think of the cats I’ve owned… well, Snickers would run from it, Patches would become an infuriated little ball of kitty rage (that then dissipated into her realizing how much fun it could be to play with this new toy… either way, it would be a flying ball of calico fur and claws bouncing around me), and Graymalk would just stare at me as if to say “What? That? Yes, it’s cute. I think it goes with the color of your eyes quite well. Now, go away and leave me alone.” 😛

March 27, 2003 at 10:12 pm

Dayle’s not exactly the brightest cat out there (he’s dumber than the dumbest dog I’ve ever owned…) so he doesn’t quite make the connection with the harness/leash thing. Unfortunately, I can’t let him out to roam around because of the trans-canada highway that the house is on. Very busy road filled with many fast-moving transport trucks. I don’t want a squished kitty.

• mishamish

March 27, 2003 at 10:21 pm

Squished kitty BAD. Yah. We live on a pretty busy highway, but we also live in… well, a HOLE. Really. I think if we sat on the pinacle of our roof, we could POSSIBLY be able to look towards the road and SEE it. As it is, we can see… about from the bottom of the windows UP of the cars driving by. So, the cats have never shown the initiative to climb out and check out the road.

• sirreal13

March 27, 2003 at 8:04 pm

poor Kitty… >^..^< {{{JennyLee and Ketzel}}}

• _devin_

March 28, 2003 at 6:37 pm

scary

I find it sad because you can see the yellow in ketzels eyes. 🙁

March 28, 2003 at 8:41 pm

Re: scary

Yeah… it’s weird to look at, and sad. Dr. Silver says that she got liver failure because she was overweight, then she stopped eating for a while and was living off her fat, so she lost a lot of weight all at once, and the fat she was living off was toxic. I feel bad for her, she looks so thin and unhappy. :/

• _devin_

March 28, 2003 at 8:48 pm

sad yes but i understand explanation.

So a cat can have an appetite so fericious as to cause harm later in life? I guess we humans aren’t as different from cats as we would like to imagine ourselves. 🙂 The explanation of Dr. Silver makes sense to me. If you have ever fasted before they warn newcomers not to do a strict water fast as your body will release intense toxins. It is true. I got “high” from them (not making that up…its documented too..isn’t alchol a poison and don’t we get drunk from their effects) and a disgusting white paste on my tongue. Said fast ended soon.

March 28, 2003 at 9:26 pm

Re: sad yes but i understand explanation.

yeah… the liver’s a useful organ that way, dealing with toxins and such. It’s never good when it fails. The alcohol thing is true, that’s why alcoholics get scerosis of the liver, and consequently liver failure.

• sirreal13

March 30, 2003 at 5:58 am

Re: scary

There was a regional trasportation director in state government about 6 years ago who used a wheel chair. He totd the story of how he ended up in a wheel chair. He used to eat a lot of junk food, drink heavily, and do all sorts of drugs. He decided to clean up and went on a crash diet. The toxins in his fat tissue attacked his nervous system and he ended up paralyzed from the waist down. I knew bad stuff could be stored in fatty tissue, but I didn’t know it could almost kill you when you metabolized that fat.

I have a genetically high bilirubin level (bilirubin is a sign of iver damage), so if I roll my eyes, so you can see a little yellow, but doc assures me I’m OK.