Phone panic

I’m sorry, but ‘important phone messages’ that I get put on hold to wait for make me panic and hang up, and not answer the phone for a week. Too many years of dealing with obnoxious and rude collection agencies, I think. I’m still panicky and it was over an hour ago. Can’t seem to calm down, and I don’t think Adam really gets why I’m upset (or at this point even knows that I still am upset.) How do you explain something like that and not sound like an idiot? Blah.

• lafemmezilla

April 26, 2004 at 9:13 am

Breathe!

Ew, you guys get those too? I thought that was just a rude american thing.

We used to get those all the time before we got on the “no telemarketing” list. They were always sales people with me.

April 26, 2004 at 9:16 am

Re: Breathe!

I should probably have stayed on the phone and found out what it was. At least if it was a sales call I wouldn’t need to be panicky over it. Meh.

I emailed you a link this morning, btw, at mac. com.

• jerronimo

April 26, 2004 at 9:20 am

those make me uneasy too.

My thought is… If they have something so important for me to hear, why are they connecting me with a computer before connecting to a human. I always now hang up when I pick up the phone and hear “We have an important message for you… Please stay on the line.”

ugh

April 26, 2004 at 9:23 am

She called right back and Adam answered and she told him that she was just speaking with me. She wouldn’t leave a message though, when he said I had to step out. Meh.

• chrisg

April 26, 2004 at 9:50 am

Rude and obnoxious collection agency people are probably the reason I rarely answer the phone at all these days. Even though they aren’t phoning me now anyway.

• xoobee

April 26, 2004 at 11:16 am

I don’t really know but I hate phonecalls period. I’m always afraid it’s the collection agency trying to get me to pay back my OSAP loans.
    The story is still the same…I have no money…I’m not working cuz I’m depressed…go AWAY. No I don’t have any assets!
    I mean I know it’s their job but…AAARRGGGH!
    As a result my phone never rings anymore cuz I turned off the ringer. I just check msgs frequently.:)

• crassy

April 26, 2004 at 11:37 am

Just tell them that you require everything in writing and will not communicate over the phone with them.

After you have said this, if they keep calling you, quote the following. It shuts them up really quick.

Section V – Subsection J Code 116
    A collector cannot make telephone calls or personal calls of such a nature and with such frequency as to constitute harrasment of the debtor, the debtor’s spouse or any member of the debtor’s family or household;

A debtor has not commited an offence by becoming a debtor or a debtor in arrears. While he is not to be shielded absolutely from extrajudicial collection procedures, he is not to be harassed by telephone or personal calls under section 29(1) (g)

Penalties can be imposed for violations of…and most notably, section 116 dealing with prohibited practices. Harsh penalties can be imposed for non-compliance, including a file of up to $100,000 or imprisonment for a period of not more than 2 years, or both.

• ashkitty

April 26, 2004 at 7:40 pm

Oh, I HATE those! I never answer them either. Sometimes they’re “you owe us money” calls, but sometimes they’re selling things. I never wait for them either.

• mandamus

April 27, 2004 at 8:04 am

Send them a registered letter stating that any future contact is to be in writing, and that any phone calls will be their deemed agreement to pay a fee of $1,500 per occurrence.

Then – keep a record and go to small claims court to collect.