While my family sleeps on my lap….

My legs are starting to go a little numb. I wish I could reach the camera to get a shot of Dayle, Sera and Adam all sleeping sprawled across my lap. Sera has my shins and ankles pinned. Dayle is curled up against my right thigh with his front paw and head reaching across me. Adam is curled up against my left leg with his head resting on my left thigh. I simply can’t bear to move any of them, although eventually I guess I’ll have to or face gangrene.

I requested being assigned a Meme by lafemmezilla. I asked her to give me a top ten. She assigned me top ten desert island books. And so, here goes, in no particular order. (If you want me to assign you with a top ten or top five of your own, leave a comment saying if you want a top ten or top five. Pick one. Or something.)

10. Jonathan Livingston Seagull – Richard Bach
9. The Waste Land – Stephen King
8. Cat’s Cradle – Kurt Vonnegut
7. Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams
6. The Last Unicorn – Peter S. Beagle
5. The Harper Hall Trilogy (three books in the series all in one book! yes, I’m cheating, but I do have that version of it.) – Anne McCaffrey
4. Ender’s Game – Orson Scott Card
3. Oh, the Places you’ll Go! – Dr. Seuss (Is that torture? Is it hopeful? Who knows, really.)
2. Dreams Underfoot: The Newford Collection – Charles De Lint
1. Pale Blue Dot – Carl Sagan (because I haven’t read it, and it’s Adam’s favourite book. Good to bring along something new, I figure.)

• duhbigman

March 6, 2007 at 10:50 am

Cat’s Cradle rocks. Actually, a lot of Vonnegut does.

Sure, assign me a top ten… though I might not get to it right away…

• mishamish

March 6, 2007 at 6:15 pm

I would say “damn near all” of Vonnegut rocks. But I’m biased that way. If he’s got a book in print that I *HAVEN’T* read atleast once. Meanwhile, it would take advanced mathematics to calculate how many times I’ve read Cat’s Cradle and Sirens of Titan.

• duhbigman

March 6, 2007 at 6:58 pm

I think my personal favourite is Breakfast of Champions, but I love almost everything the man wrote from 1959 to 1973.

• mishamish

March 6, 2007 at 7:44 pm

Hmmm… till ’73, ya say? That leads me to ask: What about TimeQuake?

• duhbigman

March 7, 2007 at 9:05 am

TimeQuake really disappointed me, although some of it made me laugh a lot too.
            My favourite one post-’70s is Hocus Pocus.

• mishamish

March 7, 2007 at 12:17 pm

I’ve heard other people say that about TimeQuake. For me, I guess it had as much to do with the circumstances in which I read it. I first discovered Vonnegut in college and read everything of his I could find in a whirl-wind orgy of literary consumption, then went on a drought for years, occaisionally re-reading select faves. Then I saw TimeQuake on a shelf and read the dust-jacket and read that it was his farewell novel, so I approached it like that. As such, I LOVED it, even though the ending left me a bit cold.

Hocus Pocus is another damn fine book, though.

March 7, 2007 at 4:12 am

Sadly, I have yet to read Breakfast of Champions. I was going to borrow it from a friend who mailed it to me, but it got lost in the mail. I keep trying to get it from the library, but it’s always out. I should just buy it already.

Now, as inspired by your Interests list, I would like your top ten mental hygiene films.

• duhbigman

March 7, 2007 at 9:06 am

Absolutely — when I get a moment.

March 8, 2007 at 3:26 am

No rush. You are on vacation or something, after all…

• duhbigman

March 8, 2007 at 9:06 am

Found a moment. =)

10. Narcotics: Pit of Despair
            9. What to Do on a Date
            8. Duck and Cover
            7. Hairstyles through the Ages
            6. Are You Popular?
            5. Soapy the Germ Fighter
            4. Shy Guy
            3. Molly Grows Up
            2. Boys Beware
            1. Live and Learn

You can probably find most of these at http://www.archive.org/ — look for the Rick Prelinger archives. Enjoy…

• lather2002

March 6, 2007 at 1:11 pm

You should also read “A Question Of Honor, The Kosciuszko Squadron” by Lynne Olson & Stanely Cloud.

March 7, 2007 at 4:13 am

I will add that to my list of books to find and read. Thanks!

• mishamish

March 6, 2007 at 6:17 pm

I find it amusing that of those ten… I’ve read all but the first and last one. Personally, I think Charles de Lint doesn’t get NEARLY the recognition he deserves. Swear to Joe Pesci, I’m going to find Newford one day and move there.

March 7, 2007 at 4:18 am

I love de Lint. Had an email conversation with him once years and years ago. I think I own nearly every one of his books (although I still need to get the newest one, Widdershins, with Jilly and Geordie…)

The first one is a quick, easy read, but worth it. At least I think so. 🙂

• mishamish

March 7, 2007 at 12:12 pm

Hmmm… I’m all about quick, easy reads right now. I thought about doing that “50 novels in 52 weeks” thingie this year, then started the year off with Hancock’s The Sign and the Seal (a weighty book) and Mallory’s Le Morte d’ Arthur (need I say more?). I think I’m going to have to throw some Golden Books into the mix to make up the difference. 😛

As for de Lint, I do dearly love the man, but his novels have a tendancy of disappointing me. Which isn’t to say I don’t love them! I do! But they always feel like either a short story gone REALLY long, or a couple of short stories that should have been collected, but not necessarily woven into a single narrative. The single exception I can think of that was The Little Country, which just worked well as a single, novel-length narrative.

But his short stories? Oooooh, his short stories. *sigh*

• mishamish

March 7, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Oh, and if you’re tossing them around, I suppose I can handle a tennie of my own. 😛

March 8, 2007 at 7:04 am

Top ten things (music, books, activities, etc.) that you would recommend to someone to broaden their horizons or interests.

• spadoink

March 6, 2007 at 6:57 pm

yes please. 10 of them.

March 7, 2007 at 4:41 am

Top ten favourite things/people/places to photograph.