Planning and scheming

I’m trying to work out a way to make some extra cash on the side, since come May Adam will once more be taking a pay cut, this time for an indefinite amount of time. Our expenses have increased since he started doing the more lucrative work, which means that after the cut we’re going to have to be very, very careful about how we spend our money, else we’ll fall into the evil pit of debt which terrifies us both.

I am working on branching out with the photography stuff, which is starting to pull itself together a little more cohesively, but I’d really like to find more. My mom suggested selling photo prints on ebay, but I looked at the market there and I’m not convinced that anyone buys photo prints on ebay. Maybe I’ll give it a try and see if anything happens.

If any of you folks reading this have wanted a print of something and just haven’t gotten around to it, now’s as good a time as any to let me know. Size/framed/unframed/whatever… I’m happy to oblige. And really, the idea of people having some art of mine hanging on their wall just makes me feel so very good…

I also keep thinking that maybe I should get a second job or something, but back in Toronto I really wanted to never go through that again – there’s just so much to do that I don’t want to be working six days a week anymore, and with no definite end in sight (like I had back in Toronto) it just seems like a terrible idea. I know I’d get demotivated and annoyed about it. At least if I’m doing photography work, it’s something that I really love doing. If I just went and got a coffee shop job, I’d be miserable and resentful over it. Not a good place to be. And it’s not like we’re going to starve or anything – it’s just that we won’t be able to afford to do anything social, or have a dinner out, or buy CFL light bulbs to replace the burnt out incandescents, and we’ll have to second guess every purchase to be sure that it’s something we really need. I rather appreciated the time that we didn’t have to do that kind of second guessing for little everyday things like buying a new casserole dish or something – it was the first time in my life I had reached that kind of stability, and it was really nice.

It’s time to be zen about it or something. We’ll work something out.

• ashkitty

April 6, 2007 at 7:58 pm

What about selling the photos at art fairs and such? I have been trying to convince my mother to do this for quite some time; she just doesn’t want to put out the effort for it when she doesn’t need the money. But people do seem to buy things at those things, and is then decent exposure for when they want something later?

April 6, 2007 at 8:26 pm

The problem with that is the same as the problem with putting a show up somewhere – I don’t actually have prints already printed out, I get them done on an as-ordered basis. Can’t really afford to do that right now, but hoping to do so in the next few months – the plan is to put most of the money I make (if any) from photography stuff back into photography stuff, unless I want to buy myself a treat or go for dinner or something like that.

I don’t really know much about art fairs here, but the public markets all charge a whole lot for a table, so that’s another issue to work on. Need to have money to make money…

• mindexplodes

April 7, 2007 at 4:49 am

i feel your pain on the money instability thing! i’ve also been planning some schemes in the make money fast idea , but sofar all i’ve come up with is learning how to skateboard and then entering some compititions to make some tax free prize money ( this is my plan for the summer…it probobly won’t go very far off the ground [PUN] ) but maybe there are some bike compitions you can enter? or what about performing with your guitar? i’m sure you can find some shows to put on ?

April 7, 2007 at 4:59 am

heh… I’m not nearly good enough on the bike to race for money, that’s for sure. Have to not be scared of trails first, eh. 😀

Maybe I’ll practice up and go busk on the street or something now that the weather’s reasonable. I wonder if North Vancouver requires a permit for that? Hmmmm.

• lowkey

April 7, 2007 at 10:28 pm

Do you have a collection of your better pictures online that I could look at? I seem to remember some things you took that I would be interested in having as a print. A boardwalk by the beach in black and white comes to mind. I’d be able to stop by and pick them up soon, as Seattle’s looking closer by the day.

April 9, 2007 at 5:12 am

We plan a trip to seattle sometime this summer. It’s only a few hours drive.

I’ve got some pics up here, although the boardwalk one isn’t up there at the moment. I do know the one you mean, though, and I still have negatives for it.