Farewell to the Wee Giant

When we lived in Ontario, I got my first brand new especially for me mountain bike. Up until then I had been riding a Raleigh 80’s model girl’s 10 speed with no brakes and no ability to change gears, found at a Value Village for $6.50 on 50% Off Day.

The idea was that Adam and Ian were going to take me out mountain biking with them, so we got me a mountain bike – the 14″ frame Giant Rincon, a little tiny bike with V-brakes and front suspension and knobby tires. It was promptly dubbed the Wee Giant.

I used that bike to get around Toronto for months – I even stopped buying a bus pass, and began biking into work every day. I worked downtown from 5:30 – 11:00pm five nights a week. I learned to love bike commuting. It was also the time that we started mountain biking – of a sort – in the Don Valley.

When we moved out west to Vancouver, we really started to get into mountain biking. I would go out on the Shore with the Wee Giant with its three inches of front suspension and attempt to ride trails. Needless to say, I fell – often. It took a few months for me to realize that I probably needed a slightly better bike to ride on REAL mountains, so I bought the Kona Dawg (aka Bad Juju) and turned the Wee Giant into a commuter. For two years now I’ve been using it to get around town, to and from work.

In celebration of bike to work week (and also because I really do enjoy biking to work in the mornings and home at night) I decided to ride into work this morning. It takes about 45 minutes to get to work, and about an hour to get home, so it’s a nice solid ride. The weather was fantastic and I really enjoyed the ride in.

I didn’t have a lock on me, so I borrowed one from the office and locked up the bike when Iarrived. We park our bikes just outside the Office door, in the upstairs part of a Courtyard that’s back from the street a little ways. They’re not particularly visible, and there aren’t people who use that route to get around unless they have an office in the building.

At 5:30, I went outside and unlocked the bike, ran back in to drop off the lock, then went immediately back outside. In the less than 30 seconds Iwas gone, someone took off with the Wee Giant. As though someone waswatching and waiting for a bike to be left unattended for just amoment… except when I unlocked it there was no one around.

It’s not just losing the bike – which wasn’t the best commuter anyway – it’s just that I don’t understand how or why people want to steal anything. I was even wondering about it on the way in to work on my bike this morning – I’m completely unable to wrap my head around wanting to steal a bike. Or anything else, but at the time I was thinking about bikes.

I’m sad to lose the Wee Giant. We had some good times, for an inanimate object relationship. I’m also feeling just a bit violated in a way… I like to think the best of people. Some stupid bike thief took that optimism away from me – only for a little while, probably, but right now it just plain hurts.

So if you seeanyone riding around on a 14″ silver Giant Rincon with slick tires, it’s probably mine. I hope they appreciate it. Asshole.

• femaleinvert

May 30, 2007 at 4:52 am

I’m sorry this happened to you. Pretty much the EXACT same thing happened to my ex a few weeks ago. I HATE the feeling it leaves… people are assholes.

• sharolyn

May 30, 2007 at 4:56 am

Damn, that sucks. I’m sorry that happened to you.

May 31, 2007 at 12:24 am

Thanks… I’m pretty well sure I won’t see the Wee Giant again. Ah well. I’ll call it an excuse to buy a new bike.

• lafemmezilla

May 30, 2007 at 3:39 pm

What a jerk! Karma will get them!

• bebby

May 30, 2007 at 3:46 pm

I would have started crying… and maybe a little bit of screaming. Gosh darn asssssshats! So what’s the plan? Is it too early to think about a replacement?

• maggi1234

May 30, 2007 at 4:27 pm

My condolences

I’m so sorry Jenny-lee, I know how you feel. I felt that way when my car was stolen. Violated and although an inanimate object, strangely in mourning.
    Here’s to happier times to come.

Hugs
    Sue

May 31, 2007 at 12:19 am

They are… and that is very, very sad.

May 31, 2007 at 12:24 am

That’s what I’m holding out for…

May 31, 2007 at 12:25 am

I very nearly did start crying, but had a bunch of co-workers around and managed not to. Heh.

I’m looking at getting something else now. I rather want to be able to bike now that it’s summer.

May 31, 2007 at 12:25 am

Re: My condolences

Indeed… I guess I can go get a nice new bike now.

• maggi1234

May 31, 2007 at 2:26 am

Re: My condolences

yup…pretty much what I did. 😉 May I suggest red?

• sirreal13

May 31, 2007 at 2:16 pm

Soorry to hear about the theft. I used to bike to work at a salad dressing factory for the night shift. All the other bikers had fancy ass bikes. One night all the bikes but mine were stolen. It pays to use hand-me-downs….

• suraklin

May 31, 2007 at 11:02 pm

You should have stuffed the entire frame full of C4. And had a remote trigger hidden someplace… And then when someone stole your bike… you’d like… press the button…

And POW!, a rather nice plume of smoke and stuff would tell you where the person was. And this would lead to much satisfaction.

It’s too bad ideas like that are frowned upon by our law enforcement agencies… http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car/ for example… banned in Canada. Go figure.

• suraklin

May 31, 2007 at 11:05 pm

I love the internets. I really do.

June 1, 2007 at 5:23 am

The Internets rock. I remember reading about that thing in Maxim a few years ago…

we were discussing how to make a Bait Bike at work. Not sure if you guys have them there, but in Vancouver we’ve got Bait Cars – they’re set up to lock a thief into the car and track where they go by GPS, complete with installed camera. 😀 I think there’s a website with videos of the thieves, too.