I have very nearly raised my fundraising goal for the Chilcotins trip. If you were thinking about sponsoring the trip but haven’t yet, there is still time to do so.
Just to make things extra interesting (or something) I’ll throw a curveball at the whole thing for you.
Adam, who has been training and planning and working towards this trip with me for many months now; who has lost nearly 30 lbs getting fit for this trip, who was looking forward to it for as long as we knew such a thing existed, is no longer able to go. That’s right folks, I’m now taking this trip sans husband.
Let’s go back a couple of weeks and see how this happened, shall we? Actually, wait – we need to go back about three years to really tell the whole story.
Just before we moved out here, Adam got hurt. Over time this developed into a nasty bacterial infection that doctors were unable to diagnose, or even pin down. There were days that he was in so much pain that he couldn’t work, days that we took him to emergency and spent 8 hours in the waiting rooms, days where he was sure he would never feel pain free again.
After nearly two years of going to doctor after doctor, one finally gave him a massive antibiotic prescription for six weeks. This finally got rid of the infection, and for the past year things have been good. He’s been getting healthy, losing weight, changing his diet for the better, and just generally feeling great.
A few weeks ago the infection slowly crept back into his system. He denied it for a while, thinking maybe it was just his imagination, but finally had to admit that something was wrong. He went to a new doctor, as the one who had given him antibiotics a year ago has moved out of our city, and got more tests done. The tests once again showed… absolutely nothing. Whatever this infection is, they don’t seem to have a name for it or tests that can actually find it. The doctor put him on antibiotics once more, a two-week dosage to get rid of the infection.
While he has the infection, he is in too much pain to be able to bike. While he’s on the antibiotic, his entire system is compromised, too much sunlight is very bad for him, if he’s active he might rupture a tendon, and he’s just generally in rough shape.
He’ll be on this antibiotic for another week and a half. He’s getting better, slowly, but not in time for the trip; and he can’t go on this trip unless he’s completely better. It’s in the backcountry – there is no way to get him out in a rush if something goes wrong. It’s not fair to ask the guide to be responsible for that, either.
So he’s very, very sad about this. I am sad on his behalf.
I am still going on this trip, although it may be more of a challenge for me without my usual cheerleader along. I will try extra hard to survive this trip on his behalf…
The past three weeks, since Adam’s been sick, my training regimen has suffered. I wasn’t biking while it was raining. I wasn’t going to the gym after work because I was tired, stressed, or taking care of Adam. This is all unfortunate.
This week, I shall bike as many days as I possibly can. Today I biked. It was good.
So I guess now I’m not just riding this trip to raise money for the Canadian Parks & Wilderness Society – now I’ve elevated it in my own mind to riding this trip for Adam, who can’t come with us anymore.