You can’t make me…

Lyra is asleep in my lap. This is normal. I’m starting to wonder at what point I give up trying to get her to sleep by herself in a proper sleeping space (i.e. not a carseat, which is our only success thus far) and just accept that until she’s prepared to, I am a walking human bed. I don’t even really mind that she wants to be with me all the time, except occasionally when I need to find food for myself or want to clean something in the apartment up. It’s actually more frustrating trying to convince her to sleep elsewhere, since she just cries or yells if I put her into her bassinet – no matter how long I leave her in there.

I even borrowed the playard bassinet from my mom’s house to see if Lyra would accept sleeping in that instead of her own bassinet, but it has the same effect – Lyra hates it and Dayle wants to curl up in it and sleep himself.

At any rate, I’m pretty close to giving up on it entirely until she lets it happen. Good thing I’m not going back to work any time soon. We need a queen size bed now… the double is too crowded with Adam, me, Lyra, Dayle and Sera all vying for real estate.

I started the diaper service today. They dropped off the diapers and a pail, with instructions on how this is supposed to work. Hopefully this will go smoothly. I’m pretty sure it works out to being cheaper than the 7th Generation disposables we’ve been using up until now, as well as the Gdiapers that we’ve also tried. If we had a dryer of our own I’d skip the service and just use cloth and wash them, but we only have the little portable washer. I could hang them to dry, but things dry stiffly on our balcony drying rack… perhaps not the most comfortable thing on Lyra’s behind.

Yesterday I discovered and cleaned out what was formerly a bag of potatoes. It had become an oozing, smelly pile of blackish brown goo in the cupboard, hidden behind a sandwich grill and some bags of rice. It smelled truly terrifying, and I got queasy trying to clean it up, but I got through it and now the cupboard is clean. A bowl of baking soda with essential oil in it has been absorbing the odour since yesterday, and I think it’s actually working really well.

I could use some company today, I think. I’d also like to clean the living room… maybe I can transfer Lyra to the car seat to sleep the rest of her nap. And chase Dayle out of the playard bassinet…

• ashkitty

August 26, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Oh, ew. I once misplaced a bag of potatoes myself, and it was not a pretty sight when and I finally discovered it.

…the image of Dayle in the bassinet is kinda cute. 🙂

• meisterdorf

August 26, 2008 at 11:54 pm

HI! I am glad to see you are enjoying motherhood. Yes, for awhile your entire body and being are 100% dedicated to your infant.

I laffed out loud when I read your commentary on the potatoes. I have had the same thing happen to me, but your description was awesome! I get the same queasy feeling every time I clean the cat box.

Take care my friend!

• deb_or_ah

August 27, 2008 at 12:01 am

Wish I could come entertain you and see Lyra since I’m relatively close…however…I know I’m an LJ stranger and that is a little creepy.

Once she falls asleep on you, do you transfer her to a bed?

August 27, 2008 at 12:47 am

If I transfer her she wakes up in seconds or minutes and is very, very upset. I can sometimes transfer her to the car seat and she’ll sleep for twenty or so minutes.

• madhatter

August 27, 2008 at 3:30 am

I remember the human bed phase! But our little dude wouldn’t settle for a lap, he had to be upright on your chest. You’ll be happy to know that he sleeps in his own bed quite well now. I also remember that at some point we would put a heating pad in his bassinet and remove it just as we put him in. I don’t think it worked right at first. And then I think we started letting him cry for few minutes and working up by a minute or two. This often made me cry too. Then we just would give up for a while and try some other crazy thing. We tried fans, vacuum, and forties music. Eventually I seem to think that the music and pre-warmed bassinet were the things that worked. But most likely he was just ready. Try to enjoy it today because the days when she will say ” No Mom, you go now” are coming soon.

August 27, 2008 at 5:50 am

She generally starts at the chest and is all right with moving down to the lap. I’m okay with it, most of the time. We’ll move her when she’s ready, I think; for now I’m accepting my fate as a human bed 🙂

• sharolyn

August 27, 2008 at 5:25 am

I wonder if one of the vibrating chair thingies would give you a break? My sis-in-law swears by hers.

August 27, 2008 at 5:47 am

I have one… it works for a few minutes, but not very long.

August 27, 2008 at 5:48 am

It was pretty cute… but he sheds all over it 😉