Photo meme

Take a picture of yourself right now.
Don’t change your clothes, don’t fix your hair… just take a picture.
Post that picture with NO editing.
Post these instructions with your picture

Jenny & Lyra

I’m getting the hair cut in a week – right now the only thing I can do with it is tie it back, because Lyra either wraps her fingers around it or shoves her face into it, and I worry she’ll start inhaling it or something. The low ponytail is my friend.

The cuddly wrap is the best baby accessory we have. I use it to get around town on transit, to get things done around the house, to get myself out for a walk… It’s super comfortable and Lyra loves it. She’s happily sleeping in it there… I did dishes and put the laundry on earlier with her in here.

Took this with the webcam.

• jenny

September 18, 2008 at 10:00 pm

You look so amazingly beautiful and peaceful! I love it 🙂

• maggi1234

September 20, 2008 at 12:58 am

Ah yes, the mommy ponytail. 6 years later and I’m still wearing it. 😉
    Go! Get your hair cut before it takes over!!!

You look great btw.

September 23, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Thanks! The haircut is tomorrow… I’m looking forward to it. 😀

• _devin_

September 20, 2008 at 9:13 am

Yes, you are glowing!

You definitely are radiating that mom glow spiritual energy! I can feel the waves even in the province of New Brunswick!

September 23, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Re: Yes, you are glowing!

Aww thanks 😀

This mom thing is awesome.

September 23, 2008 at 4:57 pm

Thanks! I’ll bet you’ll be the same in pictures soon. 😀

• jenny

September 24, 2008 at 4:56 pm

Ha, I wish 😛 Our little one hasn’t taken to breastfeeding well, and we’re still struggling to find some happy medium. Plus, I get no help from hubby during the night time changes and feedings, so I’m constantly strung out and tired looking 😀

September 24, 2008 at 5:41 pm

I recommend looking for a local La Leche League for some help with the breastfeeding – I’ve started going to meetings, and it really is great. They’re super supportive and it’s a bunch of other moms with some great ideas and resources.

If that’s not possible, have you considered finding a Lactation consultant? They would be able to help out too.

Adam doesn’t get up at night either – he has to work, and him not getting sleep is near catastrophic at times. I’ve had nearly three months now to adapt to waking up – and I’m lucky in that she wakes up twice or three times a night at most, so I get good blocks of sleep. Plus, I lived by the ‘sleep when the baby sleeps’ rule in the beginning (and still now when I need more rest.) It really works.

It will get easier! Have faith!

• jenny

September 24, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Her pediatrician has an awesome lactation consultant, and she’s been wonderful to us through this process. Our problems started at her birth, though. She was born with a low grade fever, so we didn’t get to have any kind of contact with her for over an hour after she was born. No skin-to-skin contact, nor an attempt at nursing, until much later than that (we didn’t get moved from the delivery room to the recovery room until midnight). Also, I found out at the hospital that my nipples are flat and/or borderline inverted. She wasn’t able to latch very well when we would try to nurse. I’ve used different aids to help with that, so we crossed that hurdle. However, upon bringing her home, we were hit with a hurricane. The stress of that situation kept my milk supply from coming in, combined with the fact that she hadn’t had a BM within three days, caused us to start her on some formula/bottles, just so we’d know she was getting the nutrients she needed (no pooping + jaundice in a newborn = not good). Unfortunately, my milk didn’t come in for a week after her birth, even with non-stop nursing. So, we’ve had a mountain of obstacles on this issue.

My mom bought us a Medela breast pump, though, and I’ve been using that as often as I can. I always try to put her on the breast first, but she’s (what the lactation consultant called her) a lazy sucker. She’ll do the short, quick sucks, but doesn’t do the long drawn out sucks. Saturday I started taking fenugreek and blessed thistle, to try and amp up my milk to motivate her better, but just today she nursed for over an hour, with me switching what breast she was on, and when I finally got tired and realized she wasn’t properly nursing, she was *still* hungry and took an entire 2 oz. bottle.

I’m only off work with her for six weeks, and she goes in for her one month check-up Friday. If we’re not able to make big strides in a short amount of time, we may be in trouble with being able to keep up breastfeeding. My work environment isn’t BF friendly, so I wouldn’t be able to pump except at lunch time. The lack of activity is going to make my milk supply decrease even more.

I really hate how this situation has turned out, because I had the best of hopes. I still trying, though. At this point, I’m hoping to be able to just pump and bottle what she needs for the next 2-1/2 weeks, so that she can at least have 6 weeks of BF benefits, and we’ll see what we’re able to do after I return to work. Also, the LC mentioned a prescription that I can take to help boost my milk supply, incase the fenugreek and blessed thistle didn’t.

As for sleep: I know I get frustrated at my husband for not helping out at least once during the night. I think it stems from my fears: I’ll be going back to work myself in 2-1/2 weeks, and I can’t be the only one to keep tending to her through the night if we’re both back at work. Evelyn had been doing fairly consistantly for a few days, where she’d wake up at 1-ish, then again at 3-ish, then again at 5-ish and stay awake until 10 or so, when we’d both go down for another nap. Last night, however (which stems the bulk of my frustration), she was up every hour on the hour from 2 am until 6 am, where she slept fitfully until 9:30. When I get up with her, it takes a minimum of 30 minutes to get her back to sleep (between the diaper change and the attempts at nursing, then topping her off with a bottle). Fundamentally, then, last night I got about 5 hours of completely interupted sleep. I wanted to sleep with her from 7 until 9:30, and I tried, but the phone kept ringing and I hadn’t put it off the switch (because she’s usually up from 5-10 or so).

Rwar, I didn’t mean to write a novel. I’m sure you can tell how overwhelming and frustrating our situation is right now. I’m sorry for the brain!dump :/

September 25, 2008 at 5:23 am

Don’t worry about braindumping on me – new moms have to stick together! Whatever ends up happening with feeding Evelyn, and sleeping, and hubby, and everything that’s really tough right now, it really will get better. In the meantime, it sucks and it’s hard and it sometimes feels like you can’t possibly take any more, but you can… and when you really can’t, you ask for help (I have walked up to Adam with a screaming Lyra and told him to take her, because I can’t take any more right then), you take a minute or three or ten in a quiet place all alone, or do whatever you need to do to ground yourself and refocus and just rest your brain. And when you’re done go back and look at her for a moment, and you’ll be okay.

• jenny