It’s long, so I’ll put it behind here:
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Had a baby girl.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t remember making any. Looking at my lj, it seems I didn’t make any. If I can come up with one this year, maybe I’ll make some. We’ll see.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes… I did, plus a bunch of internet friends did, as well as a bunch of my co-workers. It was a real baby boom.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Ambition to get back into taking pictures and writing more.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 9th, the day Lyra was born.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting through pregnancy, a c-section, breastfeeding, recovery, and the first six months of Lyra’s life without losing my mind.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Nothing I can think of. My focus is pretty narrow these days.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just the C-section & recovery. Blasted not being allowed to give birth the normal way…
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Canon 50d & 18-200mm lens. Yesterday. Wheeeeee!
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Adam’s – he’s really taken to the fatherhood thing, and I think he’s doing an outstanding job. Plus he was incredibly supportive throughout my pregnancy and it would have been nearly impossible without him around. He rocks and I adore him.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Do Stephen Harper, Stephane Dion, and Jack Layton count?
14. Where did most of your money go?
I’d say baby stuff, but that hasn’t really happened yet – she’s still pretty inexpensive to keep. Most of my money probably went to the usual cost of living, plus the trip to Arizona, plus the camera (which I saved up for all on my own mostly.)
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Pregnancy, newborn baby, everything baby. I still get really, really, really excited about Lyra. She’s awesome.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Minilogue – Animals – this video/song will calm Lyra down in seconds if she’s upset.
Also: Baby Mine (from Dumbo), Hi-Lili Hi-Lo (from the Anne Murray Hippo in my Tub album), and Half-way down the stairs (by Robin in the muppets) as sung by Me to Lyra. I sing her other songs too, but these are the most frequent I think.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? — happier
b) thinner or fatter? — fatter
c) richer or poorer? — about the same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
At my apartment with family, overwhelmed with more snow than Vancouver’s seen in 25 years or so.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I fell in love with Lyra, and I fell even more in love with Adam.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Ummm. Trek-mas Marathon? Can’t say Battlestar Galactica, since it was pretty much off the air all year.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
Having Faith: An Ecologist’s Journey to Motherhood by Sandra Steingraber
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I can’t remember anything specific.
26. What did you want and get?
Canon 40D – but I got a Canon 50D. Who wants to buy a used 20D?
27. What did you want and not get?
Hut Down Booties from MEC. I’m working on it.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Have to say Wall-E. I didn’t really see many films this year.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 32, and I don’t think I did much of anything actually.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Can’t think of a single thing.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Maternity, followed by post-maternity, but I’ve learned how to dress better for my body shape, so although I weigh more I generally look better I think.
32. What kept you sane?
Adam, friends, getting out of the house for walks, the intarweb.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I don’t think I *fancied* any public figures.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
A useless election followed by more useless un-leadership by our political leaders.
35. Who did you miss?
Brooke, Eli, Lindsay, various other people I don’t see as much as I used to.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
It’s not that hard to have a baby if you learn how to incorporate it into your life instead of assuming that your life is over.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I’ve now been pondering this for hours. I have no clue. Too much has happened this year.